Thursday, January 8, 2009

Evans' Sisters Adventures Day 5-8

January 9....Man Where Do I Begin?
The trip to Batam was amazing. I have used that word way too much but I dont know how else to describe my experiences here! I am sitting on a balcony of the hotel near Molly's house and the view is breath-taking. Im here because the Internet works and I have a long list of things to do:

1. prepare DBU presentation for monday
2. prepare speech on testimony (wed)
3. prepare speech for bible classes (tues?)
4. read my text book that i have barely cracked open :-/
5. do my blog
6. spend some time with my Lord
Wow, a lot to do but i have all day to get it done :)
So first I will reflect on the past few days while in Batam. The trip to Batam was a quick flight and was happily greeted by one of Molly's friends. She took us to lunch where we had avocado drinks! She was really sweet and informed me of a lot of do's and donts while we were there in Batam and on the island. We met up with the other girl that was going to the island with us and went to dinner. That evening we talked about the trip and what to expect, where we were with the Lord at the time. When it came time for me to share I got really emotional.. It is so humbling to me to know that the Lord wants to use me and my story to touch the lives of others. I tend to take for granted the amazing things the Lord has done for me through out my life and that all hit me that night. Knowing that I was going to meet the same family Molly met back in April, who heard my testimony was hard to believe. The fact that we were getting to go was a total God thing, so I was interested to see how the Lord was going to work! We prayed for the trip and called it a night. The next day we headed to a harbor and got on a wooden boat to head to the islands. That was definitely one of the coolest things ever! We got to see the skyline of Singapore, have the ocean water spray in our faces....it was awesome! After about a 45 minute boat ride we reached our destination! It was the coolest sight, these houses were built over the water! It was so interesting! It was so cute when we saw these little boys floating in a bucket in the water! We walked to the huge pink and purple house that we were going to stay in. On the way to the house we were definitely stared at. Im not sure the people there saw too many white people. We got to the house and were warmly welcomed by the family! Now these women like to eat and talk. So they had us sit down and we started to eat! We ate deep fried banana, deep fried banana bread and cookies :) We napped for a little bit and then walked around the island to hang out with the people.
We played some volleyball with the women on the island, made a kid cried just because we were white people :-D I played some soccer with a group of boys. That was an interesting experience because I dont think women really play soccer, so when I went out onto the field, they were a little hesitant. I scored a few goals and saved a few, so I think by the end they accepted me :)
After walking around the island, it was time for dinner. One of the donts here in Indonesia is dont use your left hand to do anything (and that includes eating). In this house, we ate on the floor and ate with our hands! It was so much fun- sorry mom but I just left all my manners back in the US because burping meant your were satisfied haha and we got to eat with our hands! It was a great cultural experience and I might try to bring it back to the states!

Another really fun thing was the women in the house only wear Moo-Moos, so we got to wear them too! What attractive pieces of clothing :) So we ate with our hands on the floor wearing moo-moos! After dinner we watched a hilarious movie that reminded me of the 3 stooges but in Indonesia with english subtitles (haha hilarious!). The heat on the island really effected my health , so it made me really tired so I had to go to bed early. I ended the evening a little discouraged because I didnt have a chance to share with the family yet, but I knew God was still in control so I had to trust him...

More about Batam later- I must be productive and get some of my speeches done!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

That's awesome! :) Oh, and I think it'd be great if while you were at it, you could bring back moo moos AND fanny packs?!? ;) whatdya say? :)